Monday, January 31, 2011

Comfort...


He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.
Isaiah 40:11

This year’s study of Isaiah has been difficult in many ways. For me this book is quite hard to read cuz of the way it’s written… kind of poetic in a way and I’m not sure how to say it aside from being difficult. On top of that, it’s been much about God’s discipline towards His people for their disobedience and sin… the trials of the Jews… the use of other nations against them and also the demise of the nations who thought they were so wonderful and strong but were used as God’s instruments. All tough reading to say the least.

But, the past two weeks we’ve moved into some easier reading where God is comforting His people. He is forgiving them and showing that He never stopped loving them and never will. The above verse, Isaiah 40:11, actually made me smile and gave me chills when I read it. It’s so sweet and comforting and something I really needed to hear and feel.

Life has been feeling difficult and like a bunch of trials and possibly discipline for me. When things are rough it’s often hard to remember how much God loves me and that He will take care of me… it really doesn’t feel like He’s holding me in His arms. I know He does love me… well in my head. But then why is life so darn difficult? Am I totally missing the boat in everything I do? Am I off His path and running amuck of my own? I’m so strong willed and more often than not… ok way more often than not… I run with my thoughts and ideas without taking quiet time to pray and consult God on things. Then there are the really big things, like business decisions, that honestly I’m afraid of the answers so I don’t spend enough time in prayer seeking them. I pray for success and for things to turn around, but not so much asking for what it is I should do with my business. Oh my gosh I hate to admit this. It’s good though… putting it out there makes me much more aware and I hope awareness is a step towards taking action.

Ok, back to comfort. I can get some comfort from other people and it’s wonderful in times of need. Sometimes it’s God coming through them at just the right time with just the right way of comforting. My realization this past week has been that although people can, and will, comfort, I have to remember that God is the only comfort that is always there for me and I have to turn to Him in times of need. If He chooses to put a person in my path to console me that’s great! I just need to seek Him though. I’m gonna try to remember the verse quoted above and remember how it made me feel and the smile it brought to my face.

~ Lord, thank you for the love and comfort You brought Your children back in the day of Isaiah and for documenting it for us to be able to read today. I sit here today realizing that I fail miserably at seeking Your comfort in times of need when in actuality it is You I need to turn to. Please not only help me to remember to turn to You, but also to be an instrument of comfort to others for You. Please help me to have the right words and actions when one of Your children needs comforting. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Ad Here