Monday, October 18, 2010

Words from the heart...

You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.
Matthew 12:34-35

About three weeks ago the above scripture came up in our Bible study and also very similar words were spoken in the sermon at church. I knew at the time I was being spoken too and they have continued to weigh heavy on my heart.

My tongue lashes out with evil words way too often and I don’t like how it makes me feel. Yet, I can’t seem to get a grip on it. Oh I know it’s not for “me” to get a grip on… I need to pray more and harder and let the Spirit within me work. It is probably “me” that hinders it though. I don’t believe that I’m mostly mean and evil, but there is definitely a part of the old me that surfaces easily. It shouldn’t matter at all how far I’m pushed by another human being… that’s a poor excuse for allowing ugliness into my heart and out of my mouth.

What would Jesus do if someone was taunting Him? Would His heart harden and ugly words fly from His mouth? Nope! He would find a way to love them. Oh my gosh, can you imagine? Maybe you can, but I can’t… at least not yet. I pray to be civil, pray to understand… and I need to start praying to love. To love someone when they are being unlovable. It’s easy to say that I’m just human and have human reactions and emotions… but I’m finding that to be less and less of an excuse. The more I learn the Word of God, the more I learn that I’m flawed and I can be better. I have a way now… through Jesus and the Spirit.

~Lord, please forgive me for the ugliness that flows from my lips. Help me to be more like You… to love even when it’s hard. I pray that my heart will soften and not harden when it’s tested. I pray that I am able to put my selfishness aside and feel more compassion for others. With Your help I know I can do this. Thank you Lord, Amen.~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Ad Here