Sunday, October 3, 2010

World Communion Sunday…


There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 
Galatians 3:28

It’s been a real tough week for me in many ways. Had a doctor’s appointment and didn’t like some of what went on there. The economy is taking its toll on all of us to some extent. I’m personally frightened and concerned and haven’t been able to see any light at the end of the tunnel. Things seem to keep getting worse and worse… scarier and scarier. It’s been difficult to keep my prayers and talk with the Lord going this week. It was such a pleasure to go to church today and step away from all that has been weighing on me. Instead of feeling alone, I walked away feeling very unified with not only those I saw today, but many around the world.

Today we celebrated World Communion Sunday. To think that people around the world were participating in Communion as we were was very comforting. For me the most comforting part of the service was one of the many hymns we sang… One Bread, One Body. Here are the lyrics:

Refrain:
One bread, one body,
one Lord of all,
one cup of blessing which we bless.
And we, though many,
throughout the earth,
we are one body in this one Lord.

Verse 1 (my favorite):
Gentile or Jew,
servant or free,
woman or man, no more.

Verse 2:
Many the gifts,
many the works,
one in the Lord of all.

Verse 3:
Grain for the fields,
scattered and grown,
gathered to one, for all.

Jesus came and offered unity for all of us! Those of us that have seen and accepted that share in a practice (Communion) that reminds us not only of the sacrifice of His life to give us life, but like the above hymn says… we, though many, throughout the earth, we are one body in this one Lord.

When I was a Stephen Minister one of the things we did was assist the ministers with the giving of Communion. The Stephen Ministry in our church has come to an end, but that is one of my very favorite things to do and I hope I will still have the opportunity to assist in the future. To look at my brothers and sisters in Christ as they partook of this Holy Sacrament was a blessing in many ways. I felt love towards them and often felt it back. What an honor!
I feel so happy for those that know the Lord and are a part of the body of Christ. I know I’m not alone in the dream that one day all will be right here with us. Maybe there will be a World Communion Sunday where there isn’t enough bread to go around to all those who show up to partake and our Lord will once again perform the miracle of feeding all who came to eat.

~Lord, thank you for showing your disciples of yesterday and today how to come together as one, to use our gifts and talents to work as a unified body in Your name. Please help to keep me centered on You as life brings its bumps and bruises. Remind me to lean on You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Ad Here